QuickBooks Online is a SaaS version of the QuickBooks product. It contains all of the features found in the local version. Higher-priced plans include greater automation, payment management, inventory and time tracking, and analytics features.
The product is supposed to address accounting, but, in my experience, it is continuously problematic …
Products that are considered exceptional by their customers based on a variety of criteria win TrustRadius awards. Learn more about the types of TrustRadius awards to make the best purchase decision. More about TrustRadius Awards
- Bank reconciliation (137)6.464%
- Accounts receivable (131)6.161%
- Standard reports (128)5.757%
- Dashboards (124)5.151%
- No setup fee
- Free Trial
- Free/Freemium Version
- Premium Consulting / Integration Services
QuickBooks Online Demo | CAN
Provides for pay calculation and benefit plan administration, in addition to managing direct deposit, salary revisions and payroll tracking.
- 4.3Pay calculation(69) Ratings
Pay calculation provides for computation of employee pay with state and federal deductions.
- 3.4Benefit plan administration(32) Ratings
Benefit plan administration is administration of health insurance plans and 401k plans, and other benefits.
- 4.7Direct deposit files(65) Ratings
Direct deposit is the ability to electronically transfer pay to an employee’s personal bank account.
- 2.3Salary revision and increment management(44) Ratings
Salary revision is the ability to modify individual employee pay.
- 1.9Reimbursement management(46) Ratings
Reimbursement management provides cash reimbursement for employee expenses related to business travel or other.
This addresses a company’s ability to configure the software to fit its specific use case and workflow.
- 1.7API for custom integration(54) Ratings
An API (application programming interface) provides a standard programming interface for connecting third-party systems to the software for data creation, access, updating and/or deletion.
- 3.8Plug-ins(57) Ratings
A number of third-party plug-ins are available to expand the core functionality of the software.
This component helps a company minimize the security risks by controlling access to the software and its data, and encouraging best practices among users.
- 3.5Single sign-on capability(81) Ratings
The software system supports a centralized authentication mechanism allowing the user to access multiple systems with a single, centrally managed password.
- 4.7Role-based user permissions(102) Ratings
Permissions to perform actions or access or modify data are assigned to roles, which are then assigned to users, reducing complexity of administration.
Users can report on and analyze usage, performance, ROI, and/or other metrics of success.
- 5.1Dashboards(124) Ratings
Users can create, customize and share dashboards, which provide an overview of the most important metrics.
- 5.7Standard reports(128) Ratings
The software offers pre-built reports with metrics standard to the category.
- 6.2Custom reports(116) Ratings
Users can create custom reports.
Financial management solution, including capabilities for general ledger and configurable accounting
- 5.4Accounts payable(122) Ratings
This includes the automation and tracking of payment to vendors and suppliers, with features such as payment scheduling, check printing, open purchase order alerts, document management, direct ACH bill payment, and vendor records.
- 6.1Accounts receivable(131) Ratings
This includes the management and automation of invoices and collections, with features like statements, invoices, receipts, payment reminders, customer records, auto billing, and refund checks.
- 6Cash management(120) Ratings
The software provides a complete picture of a company’s cash flows, streamlines payment processing, and includes cash forecasting.
- 6.4Bank reconciliation(137) Ratings
The software connects to a company’s financial institutions in order to reconcile accounting records with checking, savings and credit card accounts. Often month and year closing capabilities are included.
- 5.5Expense management(123) Ratings
The software can log and track business expenses and reimbursements, including travel-related expenses, with the ability to tie them to particular projects.
- 2.6Time tracking(56) Ratings
The software can track billable and non-billable employee time by project.
- 5.6Fixed asset management(53) Ratings
This includes the ability to track fixed assets (e.g., laptops), including location, check-in and check-out, maintenance scheduling, audit history, specialized property tax period reports, cost and depreciation.
- 1.9Multi-currency support(23) Ratings
The software supports transactions across multiple currencies.
- 1.9Multi-division support(42) Ratings
The software is flexible and supports bookkeeping practices along multiple dimensions such as locations, branches or products.
- 2.4Regulations compliance(38) Ratings
The software helps users adhere to typical accounting standards and regulations such as IFRS, GASB, or GAAP.
- 5.2Electronic tax filing(66) Ratings
The software provides a full electronic interface for the filing of repeatable taxes, such as payroll or sales tax.
- 3Self-service portal(66) Ratings
The software provides online portals for certain stakeholders to find information relevant to them, such as employees, vendors and customers.
- 1.7Global Financial Support(16) Ratings
Account using multiple ledgers, multiple currencies, and multiple entities
- 3.6Primary and Secondary Ledgers(35) Ratings
Record and report across multiple currencies and accounting standards with primary and secondary ledgers
- 5.2Intercompany Accounting(29) Ratings
Automatically balance and reconcile GL for intercompany transactions
- 4.3Localizations(21) Ratings
Meet reporting requirements with country-specific localizations
- 5.5Journals and Reconciliations(74) Ratings
Automate and synchronize ledgers and processes
- 2.1Enterprise Accounting(25) Ratings
Create accounting for disconnected ERP and non-accounting source systems
- 2.6Configurable Accounting(38) Ratings
Configure accounting rules and segments for each chart of accounts
- 3Centralized Rules Framework(24) Ratings
Integrate disparate ERP and transactional systems into single ERP instance
- 4.4Standardized Processes(48) Ratings
Centralize financial management to facilitate standardized financial processes
The ability to track and manage the flow of goods or materials into and out of an inventory.
- 1.6Inventory tracking(45) Ratings
The software syncs orders and stock to maintain a real-time picture of inventory and supports multiple methods such as LIFO and FIFO.
- 1.5Automatic reordering(22) Ratings
The software can be set up to automatically reorder a good when it falls below a certain threshold.
- 1.6Location management(21) Ratings
The software can track multiple goods across multiple locations.
- 1.7Manufacturing module(17) Ratings
The software helps track and manage raw materials, work-in-progress items, and finished goods.
The ability to process orders, and track them from quote to cash.
- 4.7Pricing(55) Ratings
Users can set up complex and unique pricing requirements.
- 4.7Order entry(53) Ratings
Users can enter an order once, and the data flows to all the necessary units such as fulfillment and billing.
- 3.1Credit card processing(63) Ratings
The software facilitates credit card processing.
- 4.2Cost of goods sold(68) Ratings
The software calculates the direct costs attributable to a finished product, such as materials and labor, and includes roll-up pricing.
- 4.5Order Orchestration(21) Ratings
Define and execute order fulfillment processes for products as well as services on the same order.
- 4.4End-to-end order visibility(20) Ratings
Get updates on orders, inventory, shipments, planned supply, and invoices, and improve the quality of decisions through in-context analytics
- 1.5Order exception Resolution(18) Ratings
Monitor fulfillment tasks and resolve issues, view and evaluate varios options via what-if analysis and define and enforce change order rules
- Tech Details
|Deployment Types||Software as a Service (SaaS), Cloud, or Web-Based|
- 2.6Likelihood to Renew24 ratings
- 2.2Availability5 ratings
- 1.2Performance4 ratings
- 4.3Usability76 ratings
- 2.7Support Rating68 ratings
- 3.1Implementation Rating6 ratings
- 10Configurability1 rating
- 1.2Product Scalability2 ratings
- 1.5Ease of integration2 ratings
- 1.2Vendor pre-sale2 ratings
- 1.2Vendor post-sale2 ratings
- 7.4CPA Rating18 ratings
- Banking information & transactions fed live to our file
- Attachment of source documents to transactions
- Able to access from anywhere with an internet connection
- In my opinion, help/call center workers don't understand bookkeeping/accounting practices
- In my experience, communications about open cases is non-existent
- Program creates "default" General Ledger accounts at random
The product is supposed to address accounting, but, in my experience, it is continuously problematic at that level.
- In my experience, change the labels and locations on buttons to make you click on their sales items rather than complete tasks.
- In my experience, waste huge amounts of screen space with useless information and pop-up advertising
- In my experience, change the meanings and names within their program of accounting terms that have been in use for over 100 years.
- In my experience, block users from doing certain accounting transactions because they are smarter than the accountants that use the program.
- Support - In my opinion, their support staff does not understand accounting, basic logic, and in most cases, the QBO program itself.
- Terminology - Use the terms "Debit" and "Credit" with or instead of the terms "increase" and "decrease." And stop making up new terms to describe old things.
- In my opinion, stop trying to make more money off of your customers by forcing them to make extra clicks to accomplish tasks.
My partners use QB to generate invoices and also record both staff and company expenses.
- Recording expenses.
- Reports, such as P&L.
- Slow to resolve tech issues (VAT payment).
- Add a direct link in the navigation to view estimates!
- Add document signatures to estimates.
We used to send out estimates using Word, making a PDF and emailing, so it's a big time saver to just login, fill in some details an send it out.
For people in the UK it handles VAT calculations and making tax digital, so this also saves us time each quarter.
- Integration with banking transactions has been good
- Don't ever enter an incorrect date for a bank rec. It is impossible to reverse.
- lack of calculator buttons in fields where they are obviously needed
- Invoice customisation
- PO customisation
- Nothing really yet
- CUSTOMER SERVICE
- CUSTOMER SERVICE
- Language on products
- Easy to send invoices
- Fairly easy to use with minimal training
- Easy to use reports for taxes at end of year
- Customer service is very hard to reach a person
- Live Bookeeping is terrible in my recent experience-they messed up my books and then I have had to spend many hours with someone at QuickBooks trying to fix them while I have to continue to pay $200 a month for the service of fixing the mistakes and mess they made.
- Extremely poor communication regarding the process of them cleaning up my books and changing categories and not telling me. Also, they switched me from clean up to monthly live bookkeeping without telling me and thus taking away any option I had to get reimbursed for the clean up that they totally messed up. They say 100% guarantee but only if you catch it before they switch you to monthly. Since I did not know I was switched to monthly I could not catch it.
- The premise of bookkeeping clean up is great but the implementation was extremely poor. They should have asked me more questions about my use before changing things.
- Cloud Based
- Terrible Support
- Features quit working without warning
- The program itself is great. Its easy to use and many videos are available for instruction
- Financial statements are available, easy to access
- They use a 3rd party vendor (Melio) for bill pay and getting in touch with them is impossible. It was so bad I was ready to cancel QB. There is a disconnect
- Although most reps know their stuff, I think more training would help as I realized when dealing with Melio
- I think all companies should have a phone number that a person answers in addition to emails
- It enables me to do a P&L for each specific program as requested by the county for the grant money that they give us.
- It enables me to do [an] organizational budget as well as a budget for each specific program
- It enables the accountant and the auditor access at any time for transparency
- I would like to be able to post a refund to come out of expenses instead of income
- Correcting posting errors could be made easier
- Matching unapplied payments could be easier
- Ease of access
- Maintaining live data across different systems/locations
- Customer service is absolutely horrible
- Commerce (their eCommerce plugin) isn't fully functional
- Attempt to migrate from QuickBooks Desktop has been a terrible experience
- Customer information collection
- Access print screen easier
- Making corrections
- Access certain menus
- Send out invoices
- reconcile with bank
- none other
- Have an instruction manual
- Allow for nonprofits to have its members/customers pay for the ACH service
- Have a real help button for chat that works!
- Handles the quarterly taxes for us - or at least figures them for us and let's us know when they need to be paid (for those that QuickBooks Online can't electronically transfer)
- I love the payroll feature too - sooooo easy to use and update!
- The reports feature is very informative and easy to navigate.
- Hopefully they will add the ability of Schedule K's into their online service
- Competent employees
- Not user-friendly
- Knowledgeable employees
- Customer Service
- Returning our money that it took through bill pay $16,000 they don't know where it is
- Reports are not sufficient
- Project accounting
- Price increases are out of control (>10% per year)
- Minimize feature creep and save us money
- Piece of mind from a backup standpoint, as it's hosted in the cloud
- Great user interface that's intuitive and easy to figure out
- Straightforward and easy to use
- It's not exactly cheap, but you do get what you pay for
- Depending on your level of experience with accounting software, it could be a little overwhelming to an inexperienced user
- Receive payments
- Tracking expenses
- They will no longer support their desktop app, which they pushed us to use
- They drastically increased their ACH fees (with the benefit of quicker deposits--but this is not a justifiable benefit for our business model)
- Some features are limited
- Purchase Order generation, tracking,
- Accounts payables
- Integration with 3rd party payroll providers
- Greater design flexibility in editing of standard forms
- Greater flexibility in report generation formats designed by users
- Recurring revenue billing
- Tracking open invoices
- Quarterly and monthly P&L overviews
- Annual revenue tracking
- Menus can be confusing
- Buttons sometimes move during upgrades
- Online access
- Financial analytics
- Tracking tools for sent invoices
- More customization for forms.
- More intuitive navigation of settings panels.
- Ability for advanced users to modify coding within invoice calculation structure.
- Customization for branding.
- It's easy to use
- The implement new features every year
- The dashboard provides quick insights
- Their customer support is disorganized
- Sometimes the new features they implement will work for a couple of months and then they stop working
- Their multi-currency is very limiting
- User friendly
- Support and training
- Online access--anywhere, anytime
- Frequent updates--improves functions
- Frequent updates--can challenge user to re-learn procedures
- Every company must have its own subscription
- Require high-speed internet
- Profit/loss accounts.
- Sending and automatically chasing invoices.
- Bookkeeping and attaching digital invoices.
- Estimates that convert to invoices.
- Seeing all bank account balances at once.
- Easily dirt expenses into groups to see how much is spent on each category.
- Fixing the bug where I can’t access the Taxes tab to log and make payment for Vat returns. It is tedious to remember having to open QB in Chrome in an incognito browser window. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. This issue has not been resolved since I noticed it at the beginning of February 2021.